Frozen Key Lime Pie on a Stick
This is the frozen key lime pie recipe Sue, my mom, sent with her cute key lime coasters to Sabrina. It originally came from Kittymama on Let Them Eat Cake. Sabrina changed the recipe from making 1 pie to a few super adorable mini-pies, but both work and are delicious! – Linzi
• 6 Large egg yolks
• 1 cup of lime juice
• One pound of key limes yields about ¾ cup of juice. To maximize the juice potential, microwave the limes for 30 seconds and roll them on the counter prior to juicing.
• 2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
• 1 tablespoon finely grated Key Lime zest
• 1 prepared graham cracker crust
• 16 Popsicle sticks
• 12 ounce bag of milk chocolate chips: semisweet if you prefer
- – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
1. In a large heatproof bowl, beat the egg yolks until they begin to increase in volume.
2. Add the lime juice and whisk until combined.
3. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, and cook (whisking the whole time) until the mixture is foamy and smooth looking.
4. Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk and the key lime zest until well combined.
5. Pour into the graham cracker crust.
6. Place in the freezer for 50 minutes.
7. Using a sharp knife, score the pie into 16 pieces.
8. Use the sharp knife to cut a slit in the aluminum pie pan where the stick should go and push the stick in to the center of the pie slice, trying to keep it level. So it looks like the picture on next page.
9. Return the pie to the freezer and keep it there for a couple of days.
10. When you are ready to dip the slices, cut the pie on the scored marks. Then cut the foil pan like the picture on the next page. Remove the pieces and place them on waxed paper on a cookie sheet. Return them to the freezer.
11. In a heatproof bowl, over simmering water, melt the chocolate chips. I keep the bowl on the pan while I am covering the slices but turn the heat to low. If the wedge doesn’t feel sturdy use a spatula, scoop the chocolate on to the top of the wedge of pie and use it to move the chocolate down the sides. I also used it to cover the bottom.
12. Return the slice to the waxed papered cookie sheet and keep in the freezer until you are ready to eat.
13. Enjoy ♥